Monday, January 7, 2008

In Memorium


One of the saddest things about our job, providing services to the homeless, is the number of deaths that we have to deal with. We tend to get very close to a lot of "our people" on the street and losing one of them can be like losing a member of our family. Some of these people die due to the violence that plagues street life, others succumb to health issues that are a very real side affect of homelessness and/or addictions.


This past Sunday, Hope Mission held a memorial service in honor of twelve people who died on the streets and in shelters in Edmonton in 2007 and our first loss of 2008, that occurred January 3. The service was packed and the participants were very emotional. Many of the staff of the Hope Mission and the Herb Jamieson Center were in attendance. We can only pray that we made some difference in their lives while we served them. We know that they made a difference in ours.


Matthew 25:35-40

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

No comments: