Thursday, October 18, 2007

Northern Lights

We live in a small community 20 minutes north of Edmonton so we have had many opportunities driving home on the highway at night to enjoy the Northern Lights without the lights of the city dimming their spectacular beauty. I have always been fascinated with this meteorological display. I found this picture on the Internet (we don't really have mountains in our area) as a stunning example of them.The following is an excerpt from an as yet untitled novel I am working on and gives a whimsical description of the Northern Lights :

Later that evening I sat out on the balcony of my tiny apartment, gazing into the stars. I was curled up inside my over sized, fuzzy black sweater against the chill of the night air and warmed my hands on a large mug of hot chocolate.

The Northern Lights were putting on an amazing display. They danced and moved to an invisible beat and I could even detect some colours - pinks and greens - in the fantastic production. I could almost see the ghostly orchestra on the ground beneath them and the conductor raising and lowering his baton as he guided the light show through an intricate choreography of movements. I was totally mesmerized for a time.

I felt a profound sense of loss when the vision began to shimmer and then slowly evaporated into the night. I sighed deeply, then rose and went back into my apartment, carefully locking the balcony door behind me.

No comments: