Friday, October 19, 2007

The End of the Rainbow

As a child, I heard stories about the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but I had never really considered that a person could actually find the end of the rainbow. It never occurred to me that it was even possible after I learned that the rainbow is caused by light refracting through rain droplets in the air. I simply assumed that because of the angle of the light in relation to the droplets that a rainbow would always appear to be in the distance. That is, that is what I assumed until a few years ago when I actually drove through the end of the rainbow!

I was driving school bus for Sturgeon School Division one rainy day. We live in a small community north of Edmonton and my route encompassed a large rural area. The bus was climbing a small hill on a country road when the sun came out and the rainbow appeared in the sky. I noticed that something appeared a little odd, the rainbow did not seem that far away. We rounded a bend in the road and I heard an audible gasp from the students on the bus. The rainbow was directly in front of us and it clearly ended right in front of us in the middle of the road!

A small hubbub ensued, the students wanted me to stop the bus so that they could get out and look for the pot of gold. I continued driving, right into the midst of the rainbow. A moment later it had "jumped" into the field beside us. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget.


Genesis 9:12-17
And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

No comments: