Sunday, September 9, 2007

Pastor Berlin V Guerrero Update

On May 27, 2007 Pastor Berlin Guerrero was abducted at gunpoint (see : post - Pastor Berlin V Guerrero August 10, 2007) The following is an update of what has been happening since then.


PRESS STATEMENT # 2

It has been three months since I was abducted and tortured by elements of the Naval Intelligence Security Force (NISF) of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and turned over to the Provincial Police Office of the Philippine National Police (PNP-PPO) at Imus, Cavite. I am now an inmate of the Cavite Provincial Jail (CPJ) at Trece Martirez City, Cavite. I am getting closer to my 100th day in prison which will be on Sept 04 2007. My only hope for a fair judgement and released from jail is in the court of the last resort, the Supreme Court of the Philippines.

There are no new charges against me. I am held in prison on the basis of a murder offense which occurred seventeen years ago. I am innocent of the murder charge. The Presiding Judge of the Regional Court, Branch 19 at Bacoor Cavite, failed to catch the sight of the truth. Judge Matias Garcia 111 in his order on Auguust 2 2007, overlooked the glaring facts of my case.

Judge Matias Garcia lll, with grave abuse of discretion, ignored the following;
1) The information filed against me lacks probable cause to indict me of the crime of murder.
2) That the Warrant of Arrest issued by Judge Edelwina Pastoral of the Regional Trial Court was issued merely as a matter of course without probable cause, and without conducting the required personal examination of the complainant and prosecution witness.
3) That my basic Human Rights were viciously defiled and trampled upon by those who were duty-bound to uphold them.

It was expected for the judge to grant my motions for release, but the judge needed to be safe, away from possible harm, by denying my motion and ordering instead my arraignment and litigation of my case. The RTC Branch 19, as my first line of defense has become another instrument of injustice on my part.

As a Pastor in prison, I have taken upon the cause of my fellow inmates who suffer the consequences of subhuman prison conditions and the slow moving court cases proceedings, not to mention the violations against the basic human rights done to numerous inmates by police and other security forces. I am now a victim among many.

At this point, I would like to express my deepest appreciation to all who are "moving heaven and earth" here and abroad, for my immediate release, and are extending their support to my family.

Pastor BERLIN V. GUERRERO
August 28 2007
Cavite Provincial Jail
Trece Martirez City, Cavite

No comments: